Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Recommended Reading

Favorite Authors

Scott Cunningham

Wicca: A Guide for the Solitary PractitionerCunningham's Encyclopedia of Wicca in the Kitchen, Earth Power: Techniques of Natural Magic. I am currently reading Living Wicca: A Further Guide for the Solitary Practitioner.

Deborah Blake

Witchcraft on a Shoestring: Practicing the Craft Without Breaking Your BudgetCircle, Coven, & Grove: A Year of Magickal PracticeThe Goddess is in the Details: Wisdom for the Everyday WitchWickedly Dangerous (Baba Yaga Book 1). I love Deborah Blake's practical approach to spirituality and fun writing style in her fiction.

Starhawk

The Spiral Dance: A Rebirth of the Ancient Religion of the Goddess, Earth Magic: Sacred Rituals for Connecting to Nature's Power, The Pagan Book of Living and Dying: Practical Rituals, Prayers, Blessings, and Meditations on Crossing Over. I listened to the first two as audiobooks borrowed from my library and bought the third.

Famous Authors

Raymond Buckland

Wicca for One: The Path Of Solitary Witchcraft, Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft. Since I'm a solitary practitioner, I prefer the former over the latter. I've heard Buckland's Complete Book of Witchcraft is considered to be a classic; however, I would consider it to be more on the intermediate level than for raw beginners.

Janet & Stewart Farrar

A Witches' Bible (Eight Sabbats for Witches: And Rites for Birth, Marriage and Death and The Witches' Way: Principles, Rituals And Beliefs Of Modern Witchcraft). I found the rituals to be more formal than I'd like and they require a coven, so I gave the book away. Keep in mind that A Witches' Bible includes both Eight Sabbats for Witches AND The Witches' Way.

Margot Adler

Drawing Down the Moon: Witches, Druids, Goddess-Worshippers, and Other Pagans in America. This book comes highly recommended, but it just wasn't a good fit for me. Honestly, I only managed to get halfway through this book before I decided it wasn't for me and returned it to the library. Though Margot Adler offers many different perspectives, the book didn't really resonate with me.

Controversial Authors

Silver RavenWolf

Teen Witch: Wicca for a New Generation, To Ride A Silver Broomstick: New Generation Witchcraft, To Stir A Magick Cauldron: Witch's Guide to Casting and Conjuring, To Light A Sacred Flame: Practical Witchcraft for the Millennium. I read Teen Witch when I was about 12 and the three other books of hers that I've listed throughout my teens. I don't know what all the fuss is about over Silver RavenWolf. Her approach isn't for everyone and, as with anything, I recommend you read books about spirituality with a grain of salt.

What are your favorite spiritual books and authors?

No comments:

Post a Comment